mini me

02 April, 2014



This time that I'm spending alone with Emma has kind of forced us into a different dynamic, where she understands that this is harder for me, and so she's kinder to me. Plus, I think that because we both miss her dad we're able to commiserate a little bit, so it kind of feels like we're on a team. We're in this together.

Whatever the case, I'm so grateful for it, because it's allowed me to spend more quality time with her. I feel like I'm getting to know a part of myself by doing things with her. For instance, I took her to the movies a couple of weekends ago to see the new Muppet movie, and that nite, at bedtime, she told me she didn't like it because the "fake Kermit" scared her, and it just made her really sad that the real Kermit was in jail for no reason. I'm not telling you this to spoil the movie, but because when I was a kid my little sister liked to watch this Sesame Street movie called Follow That Bird, and it would stress me the fuck out when Big Bird was kidnapped and painted blue. I hated watching the movie because it made me sad.

Her reaction reminded me so much of me. She reminds me so much of me. Sometimes I have trouble wrapping my mind around it. I made an actual person who looks and acts like me. What even?

6 comments:

Inge said...

Oh man, YES, that must be so weird at times, when you realize that. So awesome, but at the same time something you might never really wrap your mind around because, you know, how?

yours truly, melissa said...

So sweet. Those mini people!!!! Glad you guys are bonding and connecting during a time that is otherwise difficult.

Mary said...

It is crazy, isn't it? We made brand new people! Who are so cool and amazing and eerily a lot like us. My oldest is so much like me, in both wonderful and not-so-wonderful ways.

Happy you're surviving your time as a single mom and finding the positives in it. Good luck as you approach the finish line at school too!

MeghanTopjian said...

Love this :) Also, just to throw it out there - there was a Sesame Street on that we watched in Belgium. It wasn't OUR Sesame Street, but it was Sesame Street for them - like Elmo (the same Elmo) was on it and so were some other characters… but… BIG BIRD WAS BLUE!

MeghanTopjian said...

Google image: Sesamstraat - you'll see what I mean… it was very strange.

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, I love this post. These are the best kind of moments, and I'm so glad you're getting to make these memories together while Bryan is gone.

P.S. I freaking HATED Follow That Bird. HATED. IT. I remember my siblings watching it and begging my mom to make them turn it off because the circus people were so mean, and I hated that song they made him sing on that swing...Oh GOD. It was HORRIBLE.